We brought here Best Water Heater/Geyser Buying Guide based on important factors that you must prefer while buying like technology used, its type, inbuild features, capability & efficiency, top brands & much more.
Water Heater Buying Guide
Before purchasing any kind of product, it is very important to understand the requirements and have proper knowledge of product features because without it, you will end up with unsuitable product and waste of money as well.
Types of Water Heaters
If based on storage capability – water heaters are categorized into two types storage geysers and thankless (or instant) geysers.
- Storage Geysers
- Instant Geysers
- Gas Geysers
Capacity of Water Heater
The daily hot water requirement is the one of the main factors that should decide the capacity of the geyser. The table below highlights which geyser to buy based on the average use.
This is a very important and useful feature and needs to be present in all home appliance. It is very obvious that we forget about turning off after using the appliances. If you do not have auto cut feature in your Geyser/Water Heater then this might lead to a shocking electricity bill.
Power Consumption of Water Heater
Power Consumption is another important feature that you must take care about while selecting a water heater. Geyser/Water Heater usually contributes 15% of your electricity bill. Nowadays almost all the home appliances are star rated. So the most effecient product in terms of power are rated high. So you can select a 5 start rated or close to that if you are looking for energy efficient Geyser.
Water Heater Safety Features
- Automatic Thermal Cut-out
- ABS Plastic Body
- Fire Retardant Cable
- Safety Valve
Conventionally geysers are installed vertically. Horizontal geysers are new but popular in the market. Horizontal ones are known as H-Wall geysers while Vertical Geysers are known as V-Wall geysers.
Tank Material of Water Heater
The basic materials used to manufacture storage tanks in geysers are Copper, Stainless Steel, Thermo Plastic.
Best Geyser / Water Heaters Brands in India
- AO Smith
Other Factors That One Must Take Care About While Buying A Geyser
- Material of the Water Tank
- Anti-Scale And Anti Corrosive
- Heating Element
- Auto-Off Feature
- Power Consumption
- Build and Material
- Additional Features
- Durability and Maintenance
- After Sales Service
General Tips before Buying a Geyser
- It is not good to use Electric Geysers with Copper tank at home with high water supply pumps. High water pressure can damage your geyser along with the tank.
- When installing a Gas Heater, Make sure place the LPG gas cylinder up and also outside the bathroom. The gas heater emits Carbon Monoxide (CO) that is harmful for health.
- Your electric geyser should have an auto cut-off feature that efficiently cuts off the supply of electricity when the water reaches 60℃. Any further heating can cause outbursts.
- Buy only those geyser/water heaters that has genuine BIS/ISI certification. This ensure all the necessary trials and assurance checks.
- You must hire a professional person to install the geyser as slight negligence might risk the life of the product and yours as well.
- Always check warranty information at the time of purchasing.
- Must go for a shock proof and rustproof – ABS Plastic body
- A Fire Retardant Cable reduces the flammability of the cables. It prevents any chances of short circuit.
- A safety valve discharge excess water when the pressure or temperature exceeds safe limits.
- Auto-On/Off feature automatically turn the device off when water is heated to 60 degrees.
- Higher the BEE star rating, more the energy savings.
- Follow Safety Measures while using a geyser.
- Children should stay away from geyser while it is on. Their is possibility that they can burn their hands with hot water
- Never keep geyser on for a long time.
- Never leave unused water inside the tank as it causes wastage of energy.